Friday, 4 May 2012

Vision and Outlook are as important as policy

In politics great emphasis is placed on what politicians say and we are constantly surprised when career politicians make a promise they know they have no intention or capability of carrying out.
Whilst my policies are important because they set out my plan for the UK, my vision and outlook are equally important. Policies come and go and change several times in one term. Sometimes it is because these policies were flawed from the start, but invariably I suspect that policies are changed because they are no longer fit for purpose and rigid policies are disastrous for a fast paced democracy like ours.
Before I talk about my vision and outlook I will make you one promise, and it will be the only promise I will ever be able to keep. I promise to work hard, make decisions based on what’s best for our country and I will never stop trying to improve public services. I can’t promise you greater education standards, reduced hospital waiting times, greater confidence in the Police, more fire appliances and less tax. I can’t promise you these things because I can’t see the future and neither can anyone else so to promise these would be reckless.
I will set targets of where we would like to be, but these will be targets not promises and the targets will not interfere with the services provided.
Throughout this blog you will read my policies and what I intend to do if elected, but as I said earlier my vision and outlook are just as important as my policies. The UK is a multi-faith society accepting more than one religion, for example in the 2001 Census just over 71% or 42 million people identified themselves as Christian, 2.7% or 1.59 million people identified them as Muslim, 336,000 people identified themselves as Sikh’s and 267,000 people identified themselves as Jewish, in addition there are hundreds of spoken and written languages in the UK. Moving away from the statistics, each and every one of us whether born in the UK or moved to the UK brings something with us, whether that be local dialects, food preferences, ways and routines for carrying out certain tasks and so on.
What I am trying to say is that our country is rich with culture and we should be embracing that culture, we should be eager to learn about other people’s cultures. I believe our country is one in which anyone with passion, persistence and commitment can really achieve.
When I look around the country I don’t see skin colour, I don’t hear accents, I don’t see religion, what I do see is one nation with the capability of outperforming itself and other countries, but what is actually happening at the moment is that somewhere amongst reclaiming personal protection insurance and the health and safety devils we have taken our eyes of the ball.
My vision for the UK is simple. I want to help people who are genuinely in need of help, primarily at home but on the understanding that at times we have an obligation to assist the international community, I want the population of this country to be proud to be from the UK whether they were born here or have settled here, I want neighbours to talk to each other, I want children to have the best education and to be able to safely play on the streets outside their homes, for university to be a right rather than a privilege, I want our hospitals to help those who are sick and ill in whatever form that may take, I want our emergency services to feel proud and respected for the jobs they do, I want our armed forces to protect our interests at home and abroad and understand that we couldn’t live without them, I want the police and the councils to protect the most vulnerable in our society and not be afraid to use the resources at their disposal. Most of all I want the public services to function free of any political interference and to be the very best they can be.
We are free, we live in a democratic nation and every day is a gift. This is something which shouldn’t be wasted. When David Cameron introduced the idea of the big society I was initially impressed at the concept, but when you consider what the big society is, it’s existed for years. The phrase Dunkirk Spirit didn’t come about because neighbours were warring with each other, it came about because neighbours knew each other and they all resolved to work together for the good of the community rather than their individual needs.
I believe we have an amazing country as it is, but I also believe that we can always make things better. Change takes time and comes in small increments but as long as we keep putting one foot in front of the other then we will eventually complete our journey, no matter how long it takes, how hard the journey and if we should fall then we get back up, dust ourselves off and carry on with our journey.
Whilst browsing the internet I came across a video on YouTube about an American television show called The West Wing. It is in effect a mock-up of a President running the White House and in one of the early scenes the candidate for President makes a speech in which he says “If fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely, the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received”
Whilst the programme is there for entertainment purposes, I believe the quote itself is an accurate reflection of the direction I believe this country should be going in. I hear people around me all day every day saying that our country is on its knees and if this is true then we are the only ones to blame. I think personally in certain areas we have made changes which have impacted on us negatively but the changes do not have to be permanent, we just need to be positive and put our energy in to changing what’s wrong, bit by bit. My aim is to leave this country in a state in which my children and grandchildren receive better than I did when I was a child. What is your aim for this country?
On Twitter? Why not post me your questions : @ThePMCandidate
The Candidate

No comments:

Post a Comment