Friday, 29 June 2012

Tough on Crime

One of the age old complaints from the general public is that offenders once convicted are not given hard enough sentences to represent the seriousness of the offence they have committed.

Across the board there does appear to be a disparity in sentencing too, for example for breach of a court order you can look at a short custodial sentence, but for being convicted of disqualified driving on the third time you’re looking at an extended ban and potentially community service.

We believe the only way to really get to the root cause of this is to provide minimum and maximum sentences for all serious and commonly committed offences. This will help standardise the punishments handed out making it fairer for those subject of the punishment, but also all Magistrates and Judges the flexibility to hand out sentences within the guidelines which they feel are appropriate.

One of the most common punishments handed out to convicted criminals is community service. I for one have never been able to identify who these individuals are and from that I am not sure whether I have seen them carrying out the community service. I think its essential that the public see those who have committed criminal acts making amends for their actions, that is why we believe they should be visible and when carrying out acts of community service they will have to wear an orange boiler suit.

Whilst there are critics out there who say this amounts to a breach of Human Rights as it may be deemed as degrading, I do not believe this is the case. The reason they are wearing the boiler suit is to help staff supervising Community Service easily identify who is with them and who is the general public. In any case I would expect this to be challenged in court.

From this we propose the following:
· Minimum and maximum sentencing for all serious and commonly committed offences
· Those carrying out community service will be made to wear an orange boiler suit
· Communities will be able to work in conjunction with the local probation office to decide where to place those on community service to ensure the community makes the most out of their time
Twitter? Why not post me your questions : @ThePMCandidate
The Candidate

No comments:

Post a Comment